Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Scripted sales calls old fashioned, fail to connect with customers - Business First of Louisville:

wanuso.wordpress.com
Geez, I have been saying this for more than 25 andI can’t believe companies still use them to sell over the OK, forget the companies themselves, let’s blame the managet or the person who is responsible for still tryinfg to do something that every salesd trainer on the planet says does not work. Now, beforw I go on, do not write or send an e-maikl telling me that I am wrong orbeing Instead, why don’t you try something new – that is, new to you or your organizatioh – and just do what I will lay out Trust me, it has worked every single time with any big or small, that I have workedx with.
This horror of using scripts came rushing back to me recentlg while working with a company whose storesx are in every big city in the The company is highly regarderd for its ethics and is a very visible organization that many are familiart with because ofthe company’s longevityh and brand awareness. I was asked to come to the company’ headquarters and look at its methord of attracting new business through itstelemarketinbg program, which the company has been usingf for a couple of They said that although the results were OK at first, salesd had become pretty dismal. It took me just 30 seconds to read the scripr that the inside salespeople were and Iwas sickened.
I talked with the companu president and said I couldc help the salespeople in justtwo hours, but I needed him to let me do my job and not to interfere unless I called him in for his He agreed, but I could sense he was a bit apprehensivew about the situation and my request. I worked only with the who was really a selling manager becausew she was on the phones herself at timex trying to pitch inand help. We went into a and I spent an hour goiny over whyscripts don’t work and why she has been brainwashe d to do something that was againsrt all the rules of professionak salesmanship.
She was neither thrilleed with me at this poin t nor happy after I tookher eight-page ripped it up and threw it in the We role-played a little using real situation that she might have with her husband, children and for instance. The goal was to show her that havingya two-sided conversation is much more usefulp than a one-sided script. She was really starting to get it, even thoughy she kept wanting to go back to a selling mode by doinvg more talking than listening and asking It was so simple that it was frightening to her that a sellinv situation can be flexible and not just acannefd speech, where she can actuallyt have fun while conversintg with a customer.
The introduction and questions I wrots out were basic and easy for herto grasp. They “Hi, my name is Susan from Client Co., and I would like to ask you two or thredequick questions. It will not take more than 48 seconds I promise. “Are you familiare with our company? If yes, what aspects? “Why are you not a member, or why did you leavw our organization?”

No comments:

Post a Comment